It’s nearly impossible to spend any amount of time on the roads in and around San Antonio without driving in close proximity to commercial trucks.
Understanding how to share the road with these vehicles is a must, as this will help you avoid a serious accident that can result in injury or death.
With so many potential causes of truck-car accidents, it’s not always easy to avoid trouble. Fortunately, knowledge of these causes will allow you to think one step ahead, thus reducing the likelihood of a crash.
Here are some of the many mistakes commercial truckers often make that lead to an accident:
- Drowsy driving: When a trucker is too tired to drive, they’re not in any position to make quick decisions. Even if a driver doesn’t fall asleep, drowsiness alone is enough to cause an accident.
- Distracted driving: This comes in many forms, such as texting, eating, drinking, talking on the phone or taking in the scenery.
- Driving under the influence: A trucker who is under the influence of drugs or alcohol is one that is likely to cause an accident. Even one drink can impair a trucker’s ability to make sound decisions.
- Reckless driving: For example, if a trucker consistently drives faster than the speed limit, their reckless behavior could cause an accident.
- Improper loading: Loading and unloading commercial trucks in the appropriate manner is a must, as a mistake increases the risk of an accident.
You can’t stop a truck driver from making one or more of these mistakes, but there are things you can personally do to enhance your safety:
- Make yourself visible to truck drivers at all times
- Avoid abrupt lane changes
- Take extra caution when merging onto the highway
- Give trucks enough space to maneuver in tight quarters, such as city streets
Even the safest drivers could be part of a car-truck accident at some point. If this happens to you, move to safety and call 911. Your immediate focus should be on your injuries and the best way to receive treatment.
Once you’re stable, review the cause of the accident and contact your insurance company. There are steps you can take to protect your legal rights and receive compensation for injuries and damages.
Visit our website for more advice on the steps to take after a motor vehicle accident.